Sunday, October 31, 2010

A letter to God


Dear God,
I seek you pardon for anything in here that might offend you but before I begin asking for your ‘blessings’, I need to clarify something. I do not have costly gold ornaments to offer you and neither do I have money. You must be wondering why I am writing such things. After all you are supposed to be omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient being. You do not need the ‘worldly riches’. Those are only meant for mere mortals. I am aware of that and since you are ‘god’ you know that I am not out of my mind.
You see, dear god, the people (your children) around me are behaving in a strange fashion each passing day. Whenever I visit your place of residence (yes, yes I know that you are everywhere but I am talking about the houses created by your children for you), I find that your image is being decorated with costly valuables. So much of the glitterati are there that I am unable to even see your face. Whenever an important festival arrives, you are offered ‘hand’ carved in gold, semi-precious and precious stones, silken robes, sweets made from the purest ‘ghee’, in short, the costliest  of jewels, the finest of clothes and the tastiest of cuisines are presented to you. Your ‘house’ is also fitted with the ultra modern luxuries like AC’s. I think it gets too hot in there for you. Your children try to provide you with everything that they themselves enjoy. You have graced them with lots of moolah and that is perhaps the reason why they can do so much in return for you.
However, I am a humble human being. I am sorry but I have not yet understood why you need ACs, jewelleries, beautiful clothes, etc. I am being told by your ‘ardent worshippers’ that I must ‘sacrifice’ something which has monetary value. In a perplexed manner I ask them if I am standing in your house or the Bombay Stock Exchange, at which they get annoyed and sternly tell me that I should not dare to ‘anger’ you. I sincerely apologize for my ‘sacrilegious’ remark. I hope you are not getting ‘angry’. What I can promise you is only this much that if you give me lots of wealth like you have given to others, I will ensure that there won’t be any beggar in front of your ‘house’. No child shall go to sleep hungry at least in my presence. There will be roof over the heads of them who spend their night under the twilight and the unclothed will have something to wear.
I apologize again for I won’t be able to give ‘you’ anything. Since childhood I have been thinking that god needs nothing. Forgive me if I am wrong. I need your help in understanding ‘your demands’. Bless me and please guide me, dear God.

With thanks in my heart,

Spiritually yours,
Your little child.



No comments: